Monday, February 1, 2021

On the Golden Chain document

 
source of the photo
Shingan asked me to comment on the Golden Chain document which is sometimes recited like a creed at the start of religious services in many of the temples in US: 

“I am a link in Amida Buddha’s Golden Chain of Love that stretches around the world. I must keep my link bright and strong.
I will try to be kind and gentle to every living thing and protect all who are weaker than myself.
I will try to think pure and beautiful thoughts, to say pure and beautiful words, and to do pure and beautiful deeds, knowing that on what I do now depends not only my happiness or unhappiness, but also that of others.
May every link in Amida’s Golden Chain of Love be bright and strong, and may we all attain Perfect Peace.”
 
The “Golden Chain of Love” was written by Dorothy Hunt in Hawaii about 90 years ago and it became a traditional recitation in the temples belonging to the Buddhist Churches of America (BCA) as well as in the youth services for Dharma School, Young Buddhist groups, scouting and basketball programs. 
In my opinion the first sentence in the golden chain is OK but the rest of the text contains no reference to faith (shinjin) which is not good. Here is how I would modify it so as to make it more in agreement with the Jodo Shinshu teaching:
 
I am a link in Amida Buddha’s Golden Chain of Love that stretches around the world.
My link is kept bright and strong by Amida's Infinite Power and Compassion.
 
I will think to Amida every day, say His Name and help others entrust to Him.
 
I will try to be kind and gentle to every living being, protect all who are weaker than myself and be an example of faith.
 
May every link in Amida's Golden Chain of Love shine with the Light of Namo Amida Butsu and inspire others to say it so that we may all be born in the Land of Peace and Bliss.
 
Please do not get me wrong. There is no problem in TRYING to be kind and gentle and protect those who are weaker than oneself! On the contrary, we find enough encouragements to do good in the Larger Sutra and Shinran’s writings but the text seems to forget completely about faith. This is why I propose the above more balanced version.
 
Also, I think it is more doctrinally correct to say "my link is kept bright and strong by Amida's Infinite Power and Compassion" rather than I must keep my link bright and strong. We are what we are as persons of faith because of Amida’s influence on us.
 
A text that is recited daily and enters the subconscious mind of many followers must contain elements that guides one’s mind and heart to Amida and speaks about faith.
 
We also have at Amidaji some simple texts (like this one) for daily optional recitations and they all make reference to faith and Other Power. I would like that my American friends who recite the Golden Chain think about modifying it by using my suggestions. English is not my native tongue so feel free to improve or modify my version.
 

0 comentarii:

Dharma talks on my youtube channel