Sunday, January 30, 2022

Members of Amidaji: Hozan Elmir Bratić (USA)

 Click here to return to the spiritual biographies of Amidaji members

Hello Everyone! My name is Elmir Bratić and my Dharma name Shaku Hozan.

Allow me to introduce myself. I grew up in a non-religious Sunni Muslim household. Both my parents are not from the US, but from Europe. My father is German and my mother is Bosnian. They are no longer together.

I myself was always a spiritual person and always interested in religion since the time I was little. I remember having vivid dreams of Shākyāmuni Buddha. Once, when I was 5 or 6 years old I dreamed that Shakyamuni was in a forest together with other monks surrounding Him, and I was somewhere in the distance. Shakayamuni was teaching something and I don’t remember exactly what He said. I just remember seeing Him and explaining something.

I began my serious study of religion around late 2016 and 2017. I first studied the religion I was taught to believe in, and became a practicing Muslim. The type of Islam I did was Shia which is odd since most of the people in Bosnia were of the Sunni sect. As those two years went on I realized constantly that Islam wasn’t working for me and then, at the time I was in the 9th grade and we were doing a religious history study (it was a non-religious public school) I encountered Buddhism. I remember how emotional I got at that first encounter like I just saw someone I knew before and all seemed extremely familiar to me. That was in December 2017. Then came the summer of 2018 when I started my deep research into Buddhism and at the beginning I somehow mixed Islam with Buddhism which of course, is completely wrong, but at that time I didn’t know.

I first started as a Vājrāyanā Buddhist. I remember that my original teacher (Tsem Rinpoche) helped me a lot with Buddhism from prayers to offerings, etc.

As the summer came to an end I later left Vajrayana Buddhism and went to the Theravada school. After some time, I left Theravada and went back to Islam and stayed there from May of 2017 until March 2019. Then I had a dream in which I saw Amida Buddha who told me exactly this “Elmir, your time has come. You will finally be a Buddhist and die a Buddhist”. I remember I was very happy because Buddhism has always sounded right for me.

One day I stumbled upon Shaku Joshin’s YouTube channel and I remember the first video I saw of him was “Shinjin Means I’m Only Saved By Amida Buddha” . This video really touched my heart. In it he explained how Amida saved him.  Later that day I went to an incense shop and on the way I just started saying Nembutsu over and over and over. That was also when I started to do my research of Pure Land Buddhism. I became a Jodoshu Buddhist but left that school after I found about Josho Adrian Cirlea Sensei on one of Shaku Joshin’s videos as he always offered information about him. Therefore, I contacted Josho Sensei on Facebook messenger and I told him how deeply serious I was interested in Jodo Shinshu. Since then (July 2019) I’ve been a Jodo Shinshu Buddhist under his guidance and I’ve had no desire to leave or go anywhere else.

Thank you all for letting me share my story. I can’t mention everything here because it’d take too long. Therefore, I only put the important stuff in. If anyone wants to know the whole story of my spiritual Path just message me.

Gasho Namo Amida Butsu!

0 comentarii:

Dharma talks on my youtube channel