Monday, November 29, 2021

Send your demons to the Pure Land

Oni no Nembutsu - a demon converted to Nembutsu  
Recently I had an interesting dream that I would like to share with you.

I dreamed that I caught something like a spirit or demon who is bound to fulfill desires. When I told him that now he has to fulfill one of my wishes he replied, “yes, but a wish can turn against you”. That made me think that I should not wish something for myself but for a dear one. Then he appeared in his demon form with a hideous face but sooner he changed into a beautiful woman. I realized that he is a shapeshifter but I was not afraid of him and he was also not feeling uncomfortable with me. He was waiting for me to tell him my wish… When I was about to tell him that I wish my mother to live for many years a thought occurred to me that if I want this I should better pray to Amida Buddha and not ask a demon to prolong her life. 


Then what should I ask from the demon…. After a few seconds I felt inspired and told him that I am ready to pronounce my wish. He was listening carefully and I said: 

I wish…. that you will be born in the Pure Land of Amida Buddha and have faith in Him!

He admitted that he is surprised by my wish. Then I asked him if he knows about the Primal Vow of Amida Buddha and that in order to be born in His Pure Land he must have faith in Him, and he confirmed that he knows all about this. The dream ended with me being very happy that the demon was now compelled by his agreement to fulfill my wish to entrust to Amida Buddha and that he will soon be born in the Pure Land. 


After I woke up I made offerings to Amida Buddha in the name of that demon and prayed for him. I also made some good deeds that day while also wishing that he creates indestructible connections with Amida Buddha, entrust to Him and wish to be born in His Pure Land. 


This dream has a very important teaching that I understood while I was dreaming, which is why I was able to take that decision. 

A desire even if it is fulfilled can also turn against me, as the demon said.  Not having everything I want is not a problem. Desiring is the problem. One who constantly desires for things is never satisfied and never finds peace. A wish fulfilled will create new problems and new desires because the root of craving is still there. Chasing after desires is like drinking salt water – it never leads to satisfaction. Also, to ask a demon to fulfill my desire … how can that be a solution?! How can an unenlightened being, no matter how powerful, really help me? 

What if he tricks me and fulfills my wish in a twisted way that will finally lead to disaster?

Rather than chasing after desires I should better chose to free the inner and outer demons by entrusting myself and helping them entrust to Amida Buddha. My demonic and ego-centered mind should stop running for fulfilment and permanence in this life and instead aspire for freedom through rebirth in the enlightened realm of Amida. I am glad that I naturally and easily took the decision to wish for his salvation. I felt inspired and Nembutsu appeared spontaneously on my lips. I think Amida Buddha was glad with my decision and that one day I will meet a Buddha in the Pure Land  who will tell me that he was formerly a demon who granted me that one wish. 

Namo Amida Bu 🙏


0 comentarii:

Dharma talks on my youtube channel