As a star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud
A flickering lamp — a phantom — and a dream.
Why does not Brahma [equivalent to creator god idea] set his creatures right?
Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
Why are all his creatures condemned to pain?
Why does he not to all give happiness?
Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail [if he is omni-benevolent]?
Why triumphs falsehood — truth and justice fail?
I count your Brahma one the unjust among
Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.”
In every creature bliss or woe, and action good or ill,
That lord is stained with sin.
The human being does but works his will”.
- one small universe, which is traditionally called “a small one thousand-world”. It consists of one thousand worlds. Each single world (sometimes called “a Sumeru-world”) contains the various realms/dimensions of hells, hungry ghosts, animals, humans, asuras and gods.
- one middle universe, which is traditionally called “a medium one thousand-world”. It consists of one thousand small universes (or “a thousand small thousand-worlds”).
- one large universe, which is traditionally called, “a great one thousand-world”. It consists of one thousand middle universes (or a thousand medium thousand-worlds).
- Period (kalpa) of Formation or generation (vivartakalpa)
- Period (kalpa) of Duration or existence (vivarta-siddha kalpa)
- Period (kalpa) of Destruction (samvarta kalpa)
- Period (kalpa) of Annihilation (samvarta-diddha kalpa)